Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Stop Motion Animation of Falling



Above is 24 frames per second



Above is 10 frames per second

So, I wanted to use something that didn't just fall straight down, but also stayed mostly planar, so that I could do the stop motion on the floor. After I chose the toothbrush, I used the inches = frames^2 * (1/3) to determine where the center of the toothbrush would be at each frame on the animation, then I used shooting on twos since there were only 10 frames under my calculations. The position in rotation was chosen based on video reference, but it wasn't as precise as I'd like, because my video was pretty low resolution. I think because of the rotation, it would have benefited from shooting every frame, but I think it works as is.

It occurred to me that it was hard to see, since this was only over 2 feet, so I included a version slowed down to 10 frames per second, as well as the normal 24 frames per second, call it director's slowdown for effect.

1 comment:

  1. It was interesting to have an object that rotated as it fell but it would have helped if you'd added some additional additional elements (e.g., a "ledge" that the toothbrush falls off of) to motivate why the object is turning as it falls. With only a few frames it's hard to get a good feel for the motion, even when slowed to 10 fps. It looks like you only have about 4-5 photos during the fall.

    Believability: 7 out of 12 points
    Creativity: 5 out of 8 points
    Total: 12 out of 20 points

    ReplyDelete